Tender pieces of fish simmered in a flavorful, spicy tomato sauce.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a low heat, add the chopped onion and cook covered for 5 minutes, or until tender, moving it around.
- Add garlic, turmeric and curry powder (or garam masala) to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and the boiling water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped fish to the tomato sauce. Cover the pan again and simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily.
- Check the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
Use mild curry powder for the first trial. Add more or less, or change the spices to your taste for the following ones.
For a lighter dish, substitute cooking oil with the same amount of water. Stew the onion rather than frying. The result will be equally delicious and will not spoil a weight loss diet.