This recipe can be used to make a more traditional bread loaf or several small bread rolls. It can also be used as the base for runza.
- Mix the yeast with the lukewarm water and add 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Add salt and 1/3 cup sugar to the scalded milk. If lukewarm, add to the yeast milk
- Now add the beaten eggs, 4 cups of sifted flour and mix until smooth. Mix in melted butter.
- Knead in rest of the flour, or enough flour to make a soft dough, smooth and easy to handle.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean cloth and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead lighlty and shape - either 3 small loaves or 12 rolls. Let it rise ina warm place, for the second time, until doubled in size, about 15-20 minutes for rolls, 45 minutes for loaves.
- For loaves: heat oven to 400°F, and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake for a further 20 minutes. Remove loaves from pan and let them cool on wire rack.
- For rolls: Heat oven to 375°F and bake for 20-25 minutes.
If shaping dough into loaves, place each loaf in a pan, cover with a clean cloth and let it rise for the second time. If shaping dough into rolls, place the rolls on a lightly floured baking sheet and allow to rise for the second time there.