Goes well with chicken, turkey, or ham sandwiches, club sandwich, poork chops, pineapple, fires.
6 lb strawberries (hulled and roughly chopped)
4 onion (peeled and sliced)
1 bell pepper (red, large, seeds and white removed, chopped)
1⁄2 c brown sugar (soft brown sugar)
3⁄4 c vinegar (cider vinegar)
1⁄4 t mustard (powder)
1⁄2 cinnamon (cinnamon stick)
1 1⁄2 t allspice (whole)
1 1⁄2 t clove (whole)
1 1⁄2 t mace (ground)
1 1⁄2 t pepper (balck peppercorns)
1 lf bay leaf
1 clv garlic (peeled and lightly squashed)
salt (to taste)
paprika (optional, to taste)
1 1⁄2 t celery seed (whole)
- Put the strawberries, onions and red pepper in a large, heavy pan over a medium heat. Bring slowly to the boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until everything is very soft.
- Push the mixture through a coarse sieve or food mill. Return the strawberry mixture to the pan and add sugar, vinegar and mustard.
- In a square piece of muslim, tie cinnamon, allspice, cloves, mace, celery seeds, black peppercorns, bay leaf and garlic and drop it into the pan.
- Bring the mixture to just a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Cook, allowing it to bubble gently, stirring often and carefully, for 20 - 40 minutes or until thick and pulpy.
- Taste the mixture at different times, making sure the seasoning is to taste. Once at desired thickness, remove the muslin, salt and paprika to taste then allow to cool.
1 hour, 20 minutes