Serve Swedish rice pudding hot or cold.
1 c rice (white rice, uncooked)
1 T butter
1 c water
5 c milk
1 t salt
1 T sugar
2 egg (beaten)
1⁄3 c raisin
1 T lemon zest (fresly grated, or to taste)
- Scald rice by placing in a sieve and pouring boiling water over it.
- Melt half of the butter and add rice and stir to coat.
- Add water to the pan, bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until water disappears.
- Add milk and cook slowly for 30-45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Now mix in salt, sugar, and remaining butter. Once butter has melted and is blended into the rice mixture, add eggs and raisins. Stir well.
- Stir in lemon rind and pour into a buttered baking dish. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes.
For extra flavor, sprinkle ground cinnamon on top before serving.