Serve as dipping sauce, instead of peanut sauce, with satays, Thai fish cakes, and spring rolls.
- Place all ingredients, with the exception of shredded carrot and toasted peanuts, if using, in a sauce pan. Heat to the boiling point and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add carrot and peanuts, if using.
- Allow to cool down to room temperature and serve.
There are many variations and esperimenting is the best way to find your particular favorite:
- Add more sugar, or add less.
- Add finely chopped garlic.
- Substitute the small Thai chili with 1 teaspoon sambal oelek; or add red bell pepper, thinly sliced and add a few chili flakes.
- Substitute carrot with thinly sliced scallions or spring onions, even diced cucumber.