Deep fried in a light, crispy batter made with ice cold water and flour.
- Fill your pan or deep fryer with vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 375ºF.
- Mix the batter ingredients in a large bowl, whisking until well combined. The batter should be fairly runny, but add more flour or water if you need to adjust the consistency.
- Dip the potatoes into the batter and let the excess run off.
- Carefully place the potatoes in the oil with a fork or tongs. Hold the potatoes above the bottom of the pan for a few seconds to prevent them from sticking. Fry until golden brown on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oil and allow them to drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with tempura dipping sauce and enjoy.
One of the best parts of tempura is the dipping sauce and it’s a good thing that it’s very easy to make. Combine cup of water, 1/2 cup soy sauce and 1/4 cup mirin in a bowl and serve with prepared tempura vegetables or seafood.
This will make about 1 1/2 cups dipping sauce, and the sauce can be stored for later use.