Tacos are a traditional New Mexico favorite food, so much that a soup is prepared there with the same ingredients.
1 onion (small, chopped)
1 lb meat (ground meat; lean beef, chicken or turkey)
1 cn tomato juice (16 oz can)
1 cn beans (red kidney beans with their juice, 16 oz can)
1 cn hot pepper sauce (chili sauce, 8 oz can)
1 cn corn (sweet corn kernels and juice, 16 oz can)
2 t chili powder
8 T sour cream
cooking oil (vegetable oil or cooking spray)
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium-low heat and fry the onion until soft. Add the ground meat and cook until browned.
- Drain excess fat and put the onion and meat in a saucepan.
- Add the tomato juice, red kidney beans, chili sauce, corn and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then simmer on low heat for 45 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls. Garnish each bowl with 1 tablespoon of sour cream.
Add some tortilla chips as garnish if you wish.
1 hour, 15 minutes