Serve tea scones warm with butter, whipped or clotted cream, and your favorite jam. Spread butter, top with jam and cream. Heaven.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F (225° C).
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Rub in butter. Add sugar. Add the milk and mix with a knife until obtaining a soft, not sitcky, dough.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly floured board and knead it quickly until it is smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thickness. cut 16 rounds with 2 inch (5 cm) fluted cookie cutter and transfer them to a buttered cookie sheet. glaze tops with milk.
- Bake towards top of the hot oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Raisin scones - add 1-2 tablespoons raisins with the sugar.
Lemon and raisin scones - add 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel and 1-2 Tbs raisins with the sugar.
Orange and cherry scones - add 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel and 1-2 Tbs finely chopped candied cherries, washed and dried, with the sugar.
Date and walnut scones - add 1 tablespoon finely chopped dates and 1 Tbs finely chopped shelled walnuts with the sugar.
Cinnamon scones - sift 1 teaspoon cinnamon with the flour.
Ginger scones - sift 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger with flour.
Honey scones - substitute 1 tablespoon honey and 7 tablespoons milk for 1 cup milk.