Goes with anchovy, cheese and deli meat sandwiches, cold meats, cheeses, cheese soufflé, steaks, boiled potatoes and pasta.
100 walnut (green walnuts)
1 lb onion
2 q vinegar
1⁄2 c salt
1 oz pepper (whole peppercorns)
1⁄2 oz allspice (whole berries)
1⁄2 t clove (whole, 3 or 4)
1⁄2 t nutmeg (ground or freshly grated)
- Skin and chop the onions. Boil all the ingredients together, except the walnuts.
- Wearing gloves to prevent staining your hands, cut up the walnuts, crush them, and put into a large pan or basin.
- Pour the boiling vinegar over them, and leave for 14 days, stirring daily.
- Strain off the liquid and simmer it in a pan for about an hour.
- Pour it into prepared bottles, leaving a headspace, and seal at once.
- Discard the crushed walnuts.
1 hour, 45 minutes