Far east of Verona is a town called Trieste. From this city hails a soup that shows how the cuisine of Italy has been influenced by other cultures. It uses sauerkraut!
1 c beans (red kidney beans, soaked overnight)
2 c sauerkraut
2 clv garlic
3 T olive oil
1 T flour
- Crush the garlic and add it to a pot of water.
- Bring to a boil and add the beans, then reduce to simmer for at least a half hour, and better 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the olive oil to a skillet and heat to medium.
- Sprinkle in the flour and sauté for a few minutes.
- Then pour the flour into the beans to thicken the soup, followed by the sauerkraut.
- Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.