Bagels are a type of bread product in the shape of a thick ring. The dough is first boiled in water, then baked.
2 T yeast (dry yeast)
4 1⁄2 c flour (sifted)
1 1⁄2 c water (tepid)
3 T sugar
1 T salt
- Combine water, sugar and salt. Add yeast to mixture. Beat at low speed for 1/2 minute, scraping sides. Beat 3 minutes on high speed.
- By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Turn out on floured board and knead until smooth, about 5-8 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Cut into 12 portions. Shape into smooth balls. With floured finger, punch a
- hole in center and enlarge the hole working each into a uniform shape. Let rise 20 minutes.
- In large kettle put one gallon water and one tablespoon sugar. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Drop 4-5 bagels in at a time cooking 3 1/2 minutes on each side for a total of seven minutes.
- Place on ungreased sheet. Bake at 375° F 30-35 minutes.