A vegetarian way to enjoy a burger and recommended for those meatless days that would help to improve our diet.
- Mash beans. Add all ingredients and mix well.
- Heat greased - brush with vegetable oil or use cooking spray - grill or electric frypan on medium heat.
- Spoon about 2 heaping Tablespoons of mix onto grill or skillet for each burger and flatten with greased pancake turner.
- Turn several times rather than just once on each side like conventional burgers, they have a better texture that way.
There are other ingredients, optional, to add to the patties. Include all of them or just some, depending on taste or to add variety to these vegetarian burgers.
- 1 cup cooked mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bran
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat
- 1 small pepper, diced
- 1 grated carrot
If you use all of the ingredients listed, your mix may come out a bit dry. You might want to add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of soy, nut, or rice milk. You may also use whole milk if not vegan. Be sure you don't thin it too much or it will be mushy. Look for a 'hamburger' consistency.
You can grease a 13"x9" glass baking pan and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Just spread mix in pan and cook uncovered. Use a pancake turner to cut and remove cooked 'burger' or turn it into a sort of vegetarian meatloaf.